Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Ramona and Bill - Shining Stars!

Eight years ago tonight, I sat with dear friends who had just learned of the death of their oldest child in a car accident. Their daughter was a beautiful, godly young woman with two teenage daughters and a husband with whom she served in ministry. A young woman at the full-bloom of her womanhood - gone. She was their only daughter and had helped them go on after the death of their oldest son years before in a car accident his senior year of high school. Their only remaining child, a son, had driven over five hours in his own grief to tell his parents of his sister's death. As my husband and I drove to their house that evening I kept asking God, "Why? Why?" My friend asked the same of me as I held her and we wept together. I had no answers and certainly wasn't going to make statements that tried to comfort or assume I knew of a higher plan. So, we just sat on her couch hugging and crying and all I could say over and over was how sorry I was. I didn't know if they could go on, or if they would even want to. It was a mother and father's worst nightmare, times two! If you're a parent you know what I mean. If you're not, you'll understand when you are. Well, my friends have gone on. They didn't stop trusting Father God or His love for them and they didn't stop reaching out to others in need. They are burning brighter for Him today with a sweetness of spirit that has been constant through their deep suffering. I see my two friends as "shining stars" in the Kingdom! I believe the fire they have endured has changed them into spectacular creations that shine His love - His glory is being revealed in them as promised in 1 Peter 4:12-13! What an awesome privilege to call them friends. They are the kind of stars I want as my role models, not Hollywood's version. I bet they are already listed in God's Hall of Fame! They are just ordinary people who have learned they can trust their Extraordinary God no matter what! I love you, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment